Home Embassy Info Embassy Events Bilateral Relations Consular Services Economy & Trade Culture & Education Ambassador Huang
2017/2018 Chinese Government Scholarship (Bilateral Program) is Now Open for Application

Application for the 2017/2018 Chinese Government Scholarship (Bilateral Program) is now open for Malaysians. Online application and the corresponding application documents should be submitted to Cultural Office, Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia no later than March 24th, 2017.


I. Scholarship Introduction:


Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program (Malaysia)


-10 Places for general/senior scholar programs;


-50 Places for general or senior scholar/undergraduate/master/doctoral programs


*During the 18th ASEAN-China summit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nov. 21, 2015, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang made a commitment that China will increase the number of government scholarships for ASEAN countries by 1,000 on the basis of existing scholarships in the next three years. Thus, China offers 50 newly-added scholarships for Malaysia since 2016. Please apply under Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program.


II. Eligibility:


To be eligible, applicants must


-be a citizen of a country other than the P. R. China, and be in good health.


-be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs;


-be a bachelor's degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master's programs;


-be a master's degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs;


-be under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study when applying for general scholar programs;


-be a master's degree holder or an associate professor (or above) under the age of 50 when applying for senior scholar programs.


III. Application Documents (in duplicate):

Applicant need to submit two sets of documents in the order as:


1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (online application).

Only English or Chinese are accepted for the online application. The Application Form will be created automatically after the correct filling. The link is http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or www.campuschina.org and agency number (Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia) is 4581. Instructions of the online application is in the attachment.


2. Notarized highest diploma (photocopy):

Prospective diploma winners must submit official proof of student status by their current school. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.

*Please go to "Notary Public" or "Commissioner for Oaths" for notarization.


3. Academic transcripts:

The academic transcript should have the seal and signature of school. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.

*Applicants for Bachelor's Degree need to provide STPM/UEC/A-Level examination result.


4. A study plan or research proposal in Chinese or English:

A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.


5. Recommendation letters in Chinese or English:

Applicants for undergraduate programs must submit at least one recommendation letter; Applicants for graduate programs or senior scholar programs must submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.


6. Foreigner physical examination form (photocopy):

Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (See Q&A 6).


7. HSK Test Report

Applicants with valid HSK Certificate (two-year validity), which is not mandatory, should enclose it in the application package (See Q&A 3).


8. Pre-admission letter

Applicants with Admission Letter from designated universities should enclose the letter in the application package (See Q&A 4).


9. Applicants for music studies are requested to submit a CD of their own works. Applicants for fine arts programs must submit a CD of their own works which include two sketches, two color paintings and two other works.


10. Applicants under the age of 18 should submit the valid documents of their legal guardians in China.


NOTE: The above documents should be bound on top left corner (in duplicate). No application documents will be returned. The incomplete application document will neither be evaluated, nor be accepted.


IV. Time frames:


February to March 24th 2017 Applicants submit their online application (our Agency Number is 4581), contact and apply for their favorite Chinese universities, and mail all paper documents (in duplicate) to Cultural Office, Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia, 229 Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur(delivery in person will not be accepted). Please mark "Chinese Government Scholarship Application" on the envelope.


March 1st to April 9th 2017 After reviewing all application documents, the Cultural Office sends Award Letters to qualified candidates for Chinese Government Scholarship by Email (applicants who are not on the list of candidates will not get noticed).


April 1st to April 23th 2017 Candidates can contact their favorite Chinese universities with the Award Letter, and send scanned pre-admission letters (once available from the target universities) to the Cultural Office. Candidates already with pre-admission letter wait for further notice.


April 24th to April 30th 2017 The Cultural Office sends all applications to China Scholarship Council for final review.


May 1st to July 31th 2017 China Scholarship Council confirm the candidates' application and send admission letters to the Embassy. Scholarship winners will get Email notice to get the admission letter and JW201 visa form at the Embassy and prepare for studying in China.


V. Contact

Email : edu_malaysia@sina.com

Please read the instructions and Q&As carefully. Questions already being answered will not be replied.


VI. Q&As

1. Q: What are the categories and coverage of Chinese Government Scholarships?

A: Please refer to http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070 for the introduction of Chinese Government Scholarships.

Please note that Embassy of the People's Republic of China in Malaysia is only responsible for the recommendation of "Bilateral Program" scholarship and the agency number for online application in 4581. Application for other scholarships goes to other receiving agencies.


2. Q: Which Chinese universities are under the Chinese Government Scholarship programs?

A: A total of 279 Chinese universities are designated by MOE to accept Chinese Government Scholarship students from which you can choose your target university. You can go to http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org for programs and universities available.


3. Q: Do I have to register for Chinese-taught programs?

A: ①If you are an undergraduate student, you must register for Chinese-taught credit courses. If your Chinese language proficiency does not meet the requirements of your host university, you must take one academic year Chinese language/preparatory courses in one of the 10 designated universities and pass the required tests before moving on to your major studies. Failure to pass the required tests will lead to the automatic termination of your scholarship.

*If a applicant provides HSK Certificate (level 5 and above) or a confirmation letter from secondary schools (Malaysia Independent Chinese Secondary Schools ) stating that the teaching language for the applicant is CHINESE in high school, once received the scholarship, he or she can start the undergraduate program directly without one-year preparatory Chinese course.      


If you are a graduate student or a non-degree student, you can register for either the Chinese-taught program or the English-taught program if applicable. You can check Program Search (By visiting http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua or http://www.campuschina.org) to find your interested program. Scholarship recipients of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese language proficiency must take Chinese language training courses for one to two academic years to reach the language requirements of their host universities before moving on to major studies. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the termination of scholarship. Recipients in programs such as Science, Engineering, Agriculture, Medicine (Western Medicine), Economics, Management, Legal Studies and Fine arts will take Chinese courses for one academic year. Recipients of Literature, History, Philosophy and Chinese Medicine will take Chinese courses for no more than two academic years. Scholarship students of the English-taught program or with adequate Chinese language proficiency (with valid HSK certificate) do not need to take Chinese language training courses.


4. Q: Can I apply for Chinese Government Scholarship without Admission Letters?

A: Yes. Applications enclosed with the Pre-admission Letter will be sent directly to the host universities for placement confirmation. Applications without the Pre-admission Letter will be sent to universities to go through admission procedure. For applicants without the Pre-admission Letter, China Scholarship Council cannot assure the host university will be one of the preferences of institution, since the capacity of the universities and the eligibility of the applicants will also be considered.

*We strongly recommend the applicant to apply for your target universities as soon as possible (even as self-supporting student first), confirm with the university that the major and institution you choose could accept Chinese Scholarship winners and get the pre-admission letter, which will give you a head start in getting our recommendation. Please scan the pre-admission letter (in pdf format) and send to edu_malaysia@sina.com (Subject of Email: #Pre-admission Letter# Applicant's Name+Target University Name; Attachment: pre-admission letter). If a applicant got more than one pre-admission letters, please note in the email your first, second and third choice. We will arrange the enrollment in such order and after admission, the applicant will not be permitted to change their academic programs, host universities or duration of study. 


5. Q: Does the Letter of Acceptance or email from the supervisor equal to the Pre-admission Letter?

A: No. Only the pre-admission Letters (or Admission Letters) issued by the admissions office of designated Chinese universities are considered valid. Other files like acceptance letters from potential supervisors or emails from supervisors or professors shall not be regarded as the equivalent or substitute.


6. Q: Is the Foreigner Physical Examination Form a necessary document?

A: Yes. Applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months must submit a photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form completed in English (The original copy should be kept by the applicant).The form designed by the Chinese quarantine authority can be downloaded from the attachment. We do not have designated physical examination so please consult the hospitals for their qualification.

The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. Please select the appropriate time to take physical examination as the result is valid for only 6 months.

Applicants with Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People's Republic of China should also submit valid Foreigner Physical Examination Form.


7. Q:      Can I apply for more than one scholarship program?

A: Yes, but each scholarship recipient can be granted with no more than one scholarship.


8. Q: Can Malaysian students who are now studying in China apply for "Bilateral Program"?

A: Yes. Please prepare all the required documents and mail to the China Embassy in Malaysia. A valid Foreigner Physical Examination Form is also needed. If a applicant is already under a scholarship but wins the bilateral programs scholarship, the former scholarship will be terminated and the Chinese Government Scholarship starts at the following semester.

For students studying in Chinese universities, when preparing the required documents, you need to note that: 1. the official proof of student status by your current school should be notarized by China notarization authorities (please consult local agencies or seek for universities' assistance). Also provide the photocopy of your high school graduatioin certificate; 2. transcripts of the semesters in your current school; 3. recommendation letter signed by professor or teacher who's familiar with your academic performance; 4. foreigner physical examination form (photocopy, can not be replaced by visa or residence permit in China); 5. HSK result (if have).

Please confirm with your current school that your university and major could accept Chinese Government Scholarship (Bilateral Program) winner.


9. Q: How can I know the admission result?

A: After checking all the eligible application documents, the China Embassy in Malaysia will send scanned Award Letter to the candidates by Email (applicants who are not on the list of candidates will not get noticed). The admission result letter will be sent by China Scholarship Council and scholarship winners will be noticed by email to come to the Embassy to get the necessary files in late July.


Suggest to a Friend